Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Storing wind-generated energy as gravitational potential energy?

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 19:14:18 +0000, Tim Jackson wrote:

I don't have a reference, but I remember reading about steam-era
shunting locomotives (used as I recall in quarries), that used flywheel
power storage, recharged periodically from a stationary boiler.

I'm somewhat of a railroad buff, and at least in America, I've never heard of
a flywheel powered locomotive. There WERE stored energy locomotives however.
Commonly known as "thermos bottle" locomotives, they were charged with
superheated water from a stationary boiler and subsequently operated for
several hours on the stored heat. They were very popular in powerhouses and
coal yards for obvious reasons (no fire hazard) and in places like steel mills
were they had to operate indoors.

here are some photos of thermos locomotives, on display at the Railroad Museum
of Pennsylvania. I especially like the Pennsylvania Power one which looks
most like a conventional locomotive.

http://www.neon-john.com/RV/Trips/Thermos_01.jpg
http://www.neon-john.com/RV/Trips/Thermos_02.jpg
http://www.neon-john.com/RV/Trips/Thermos_03.jpg