Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Storing wind-generated energy as gravitational potential energy?

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 13:05:02 -0600, Morris Dovey wrote:

Neon John wrote:

I've had my eyes open for ANYTHING that would hold water for a couple of years
now. I thought that I was going to get the underground fiberglass gasoline
tank that they dug up in the spring at the gas station but the back-hoe
operator stuck the bucket through it. I got the impression, intentionally. My
well is about 50 ft in elevation above my house so I'd have fairly decent head
just from gravity.

John...

How deep is your well?

that depends. The well was originally drilled to support a small community
of 8 lots. The seller decided that he didn't want to maintain the well in
perpetuity so he gave it to us (we were here first and closest to it) and paid
for wells on the other lots.

It's a 10" casing that is about 250 ft deep. I believe that there is 100 ft
of steel casing. During normal conditions, water is about 50 ft down. During
this drought we're having, the last time I shot it with my laser rangefinder,
the level was down to about 100 ft. Fortunately I have a LOT of cushion. Some
of the surrounding wells, drilled only to first water, have dried up this
summer.

The pump is either a 2 or 2.5hp submersible. I don't recall which power level
I had installed upon the last failure. Needless to say, it feeds my little
cabin all the water I can use :-)

John
--
John De Armond