Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower
harry harry is offline

Default Storing wind-generated energy as gravitational potential energy?

On Dec 7, 7:55 pm, Neon John wrote:
On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 18:07:36 +0000, David Hansen

wrote:
On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 12:40:28 -0500 someone who may be Neon John
wrote this:-

People just don't understand the magnitude of the energy problem.

Don't assume that anyone who disagrees with you, "just don't
understand the magnitude of the energy problem."

No form of electricity generation produces electricity continuously
at full output. It is necessary to understand their individual
foibles to understand the issues.

Before we go on, might I ask if you have any utility experience at all? As a
retired nuclear engineer, I like to know about the folks I debate with.

"Different types of generators operate at a range of capacity
factors - during 2004, gas power stations had a capacity factor of
around 60 per cent, nuclear 71 per cent, hydro 37 per cent, pumped
hydro 10 per cent, and coal 62 per cent. Meanwhile, the overall
average capacity factor (or load factor) for the UK electricity
network is around 55 per cent.

What I see is gross incompetence. Especially in the nuclear area. Perhaps
some of your engineers ought to come over here and talk to some of our
engineers. As an example of what CAN be done:

http://www.usnuclearenergy.org/2007_...Production.htm

the juicy part:

"he 104 nuclear plants operating in 31 states also achieved a record-setting
average capacity factor—a measure of on-line availability of power. The 2007
average of 91.8 percent surpassed the 2004 record of 90.1 percent, according
to preliminary figures. Capacity factor is the ratio of electricity actually
produced compared to the theoretical maximum electricity a power plant can
produce operating at full power year-round."

Executive Summary:

US: 92%
YOU: 71%

Sounds like some operators need to go to nuclear Special Ed training. Neon
John's College of Nucklar Knowledge is open for business....

Here's a little tip from inside the industry over here. Capacity factors are
going UP because both because refueling outages are being extended past the
traditional 18 months and because the plants and procedures are getting even
more reliable.

Since most of the rest of your article is quoted from something and someone
whom I've never heard of and does not represent your knowledge, I'll end this
round of debate at this point.

BTW, we have quite a number of pumped storage plants, among the largest being
Raccoon Mountain near Chattanooga, TN. I happened to have a large involvement
with that plant, from working heavy equipment moving dirt and hauling the
turbine wheels on TVA's private railroad during construction to operations
training before I decided to become an engineer. I've "been there, done that
and have the belt buckle"

http://www.neon-john.com/Nuke/TMI/TMI_buckle.jpg

John
--
John De Armond
See my website for my current email addresshttp://www.neon-john.comhttp://www.johndearmond.com-- best little blog on the net!

This arises because the nuclear plants are run as "base load". as
they can't be quickly started and shut down. Ie they run all the
time. In the UK peak loads are met with gas turbines which can be
started up in minutes.
The world's first commercial / nuclear power plant was in the UK. we
know all about nuclear power and are still the world's leading
reprocessor of fuel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellafi..._power_station