Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Storing wind-generated energy as gravitational potential energy?

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 08:56:06 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Dec 8, 4:20*am, Neon John wrote:
* It'd be just my luck to have a flue fire or something and the generator
choose that time not to start. *Having the fire hose on the UPS will be very
nice.
John

You might be able to boost water storage capacity with cheap/free used
fiberglass water purifier tanks. For laundry and toilets they don't
need to be pressurized.

I've had my eyes open for ANYTHING that would hold water for a couple of years
now. I thought that I was going to get the underground fiberglass gasoline
tank that they dug up in the spring at the gas station but the back-hoe
operator stuck the bucket through it. I got the impression, intentionally. My
well is about 50 ft in elevation above my house so I'd have fairly decent head
just from gravity.

I'd still need a battery or fuel-operated fire pump, though. The nearest fire
department is so far away that they usually arrive just in time to wash away
the cool ashes :-( For now it's an electric start generator with a backup
diesel electric start unit, both of which get exercised often.

John
--
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com