Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

In article , "Upscale" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
There's one significant difference that appears to have eluded you: unlike

you
with your health insurance, I paid for my guns myself, instead of

expecting
other people to buy them for me.

What's different? I pay my share of taxes. It's money taken out of my
paycheck that goes into government coffers and is partially redistributed
back as health insurance. So you paid cash for a gun. I paid cash too, only
the money went a slightly different route. Either way, we both paid money.
Is that so hard to comprehend? Is there really so much difference?

Yes, there is indeed a difference: you can (and from some of the comments
you've made about your own health issues, probably *do*) receive much more
back from that program than you put into it. I, on the other hand, get what I
pay for, and no more -- and if what I *want* is more than I can afford, I'm
*not* expecting my fellow citizens to pick up the tab for the difference. Is
that so hard to comprehend?

Why do want to deprive me of the means of defending myself?

I don't want to deprive you of defending yourself. I just feel that the
average person does not have the experience, knowledge or proper training to
handle a firearm in the proper way.

And therefore (in your opinion) shouldn't be allowed to have one.
Thus depriving him of the means of defending himself.

Maybe it's difference for most people in
the US. You tell me.

No, I think it's a question of philosophical differences between you and me,
and, by extension, between typical Canadians and typical Americans (if there
is such a thing, on either side of the border). We don't trust our government
to do what's in our interests -- including protecting us from predators. When
seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Take the right to bear arms one step further. Forget about hand guns. Why
doesn't everybody in the US have a sub machine gun instead? Why isn't
everybody driving around with a bazooka in the car trunk?

Because most of us are realistic enough to understand that a handgun is
sufficient for personal self-defense. Perhaps if you had any experience with
firearms, you'd understand that too.