Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
matthew maguire[_2_] matthew maguire[_2_] is offline

Default optical pattern tracers

Flash wrote:

Just one thing. What makes the axes move at all?
Once centered on the line, why does it follow the line. And witch
way does it go? On a vertical line would it go up or down?

Dan H.

The one I was around had CW/CCW switch, CW would move the torch away
from the operator (X+/Y+), and CCW would move the torch towards the
operator (X-Y-). The torch could be adjusted to "offset" the line a bit
for machining later. So CW cut the part larger than the template and CCW
cut an inside feature smaller than the template. Unlike the one Flash
used the pierce was done from a 90 to the cut line and a pointer on top
of the eye was adjusted to "go that way" until it ran across a line,
when it hit the line it would go either CW or CCW to the direction of
travel.

Once in a while Oscar had to steer the torch by the pointer on the top
of the "eye unit" because if the torch got distracted after the "start
travel cycle" and lost the line the eye would quickly "spin in a small
circle" trying to find it.

It was kind of funny watching the pointer going round and round, (I
suppose "not" funny for Oscar though)

Matt

Dan,

ISTR that when I would start the burn, I had to manually set it to a preheat
position, manually set X and Y vectors toward an engagement of the pattern
trace AT A DIAGONAL, so it would pick up the line and run from the oblique
angle, rather than the acute. Then, I would mash a button to begin cutting,
and when it had completed the pierce, engage the travel.

Flash