Posted to alt.home.repair
Erma1ina Erma1ina is offline

Default California electric rates are getting ridiculous

dpb wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
dpb wrote:
Oren wrote:
I'm just more skeptical of the government than I am of the dangers of
a quake. But I live here 100 miles away.
I guess familiarity helps here -- 30 years primarily in commercial power
generation with BSNE and MS Physics w/ an emphasis on nuclear energy
degrees means makes for not being scared and recognizing what is
fearmongering and what is at least a rational argument.

Having a fair amount of that 30 years also being in the Oak Ridge area
and also doing a fair amount of consulting to DOE at the various
facilities including some review studies of vendor cask licensing design
and analysis submittals and knowing many of the other individuals at
Sandia, Los Alamos, Savannah River, Argonne, ..., on a professional
basis concern over their credentials and integrity is not a concern of mine.

Without that background and given the general level of political
doubletalk I can understand skepticism from the pronouncement of
politicos. The underlying questions here, however, aren't actually
political.

As a comforting thought, there are three basic rules for radiation
exposure protection -- time, shielding, distance. You have the cheapest
and easiest to obtain one going for you--distance.

--

"dpb", let me "translate" your recitation of experience: BSNE likely via
US military/Navy(?) with a "terminal" MS (likely from some university

No, military at all...

BSNE, Kansas State Univerisity
MS Physics, Lynchburg

no thesis,

Wrong. Thesis.

...no true specialization.

Specialization was incore instrumentation and reactor core design.

your experience is osmotic ("knowing many of the other individuals") and
a legacy of having served the industry well while in your military

No military role. 10 years design then internal R&D w/ reactor vendor.

20+ years consulting to various utility clients including many nuclear
utilities and DOE, NRC, ORNL. Author of many technical reports,
referenced in at least one widely used text.

Last 10 years roughly with EPRI (formerly known as Electric Power
Research Institute) Instrumentation & Control Center at the Kingtston
Fossil Plant. Last major project before retiring was development of an
online pulverized coal flow instrument based on advanced nonlinear
signal processing.

Your estimate is wrong on all counts.

Hmmm.

So you say.

Funny. Your way of presenting an argument doesn't match the
mathematicians (my area) or physicists I've worked with over the years.
I think you've deserted any scientific roots you may have had and simply
become a freelancing industry tout.

BTW, I did consulting (computer systems design) for EPRI in the SF Bay
area a "while ago". LOL.