Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Matsui LM19W1 (stuck in standby)

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:16:15 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

"Jack00" wrote in message
This LCD tv is stuck in standby. Any ideas where I should start?
Thanks

Does it try to come out of standby, and then drop back ? If so, first thing
to try is unplugging the backlight inverter board. Failure of these is very
common, and will cause the symptoms if it does at least try. The sound
output chip is another suspect for this type of failure.

If it doesn't even try, this can be a power supply fault, but I have also
had mainboard failures cause it on other sets from this stable. To be
honest, if it's anything more than *really simple* on an LCD TV, you're
unlikely to get to the bottom of it. In the last few weeks, the prices of
19" sets has crashed in the electrical barns and supermarkets, so it might
in the end be more economic to just replace it.

Arfa

Sorry, to hijack this thread, but I notice that Matsui is a Dixons
supermarket brand (with a fake Japanese name). What is the support
like for these off-brand appliances? Will Dixons or their service
agent (do they have one?) supply service literature, spare parts, etc?
Do they limit their responsibility to honouring the warranty (by
repair, replacement, or refund), and then leave the customers to their
own devices?

Here in Australia I've purchased several different appliances from
Aldi but I've never been able to obtain a service manual for any of
them. I've always had to do my own research and reverse engineering.
On the plus side, many of the appliances have proven to be hackable,
with the result that I've often ended up with more than I paid for.

- Franc Zabkar