Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Snowthrower recommendations

Steve Kraus wrote:
I'm looking for a snowthrower recommendation.

We're in the Chicago area so we get dumped on now and then but the driveway
isn't very long and we have used a Toro single-stage (the old kind with the
straight rubber flappers and rubber vanes to direct the discharge) for
years but it's just getting too temperamental. I'm sure a single stage
with the newer curved rubber blades and central discharge chute will be
fine in terms of actually doing the job.

Here are the shopping considerations:

Electric start is a must.

Greatly prefer a model that has convenient system to re-aim the chute so
one doesn't to bend down to turn it with each pass. The old Toro with the
vanes had that but most current single stage chute models that I've seen do
not. Toro "Power Clear" with "Quick Shoot" seems pretty good in that
regard.

Would prefer 4-stroke-cycle but a 2-stroke is not ruled out since we've
dealt with gas/oil mixture for many years.

I know Toro has their 221QE (2-stroke) and 421QE (4-stroke) which fit the
bill but I want to know what else is available as the latter is around $800
which is a huge price for a 21" single stage snow thrower! What else
should I look at?

$800!!!??? Where are you buying them? The big-box places here in MI have
the electric-start 24" 2-stage Toros at $600 and change, last time I
looked. The single stage are under $500.

I bought one of the 24" 2-stage Toros for $500 last January, essentially
brand new, from a 90-pound fellow who had it for a month and was scared
of it, off of Craigs List. My back is much happier. It has a crank to
re-aim chute, so you don't have to bend over.

Note that at the 21-24 inch size, brand does not matter much. There are
only about 3 factories that make them for everybody. Look close at the
stamped sheet metal parts, on the display floor.

--
aem sends...