Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Snowthrower recommendations

On Dec 7, 2:56*pm, Steve Kraus wrote:
I'm looking for a snowthrower recommendation.

We're in the Chicago area so we get dumped on now and then but the driveway
isn't very long and we have used a Toro single-stage (the old kind with the
straight rubber flappers and rubber vanes to direct the discharge) for
years but it's just getting too temperamental. *I'm sure a single stage
with the newer curved rubber blades and central discharge chute will be
fine in terms of actually doing the job.

Here are the shopping considerations:

Electric start is a must.

Greatly prefer a model that has convenient system to re-aim the chute so
one doesn't to bend down to turn it with each pass. *The old Toro with the
vanes had that but most current single stage chute models that I've seen do
not. *Toro "Power Clear" with "Quick Shoot" seems pretty good in that
regard.

Would prefer 4-stroke-cycle but a 2-stroke is not ruled out since we've
dealt with gas/oil mixture for many years.

I know Toro has their 221QE (2-stroke) and 421QE (4-stroke) which fit the
bill but I want to know what else is available as the latter is around $800
which is a huge price for a 21" single stage snow thrower! *What else
should I look at?

honda