Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default optical pattern tracers

What's that Lassie? You say that Flash fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sat, 6 Dec 2008 23:48:13 -0500:

I ran a flame-cutter several decades ago that used an optical trace - the
thing had to have a fairly high contrast between line and background, and it
had an "ey" about the size of a coffee cup. The whiz-kids who kept it in
operating order (as it was an *old* model) said that it had a set of pickups
surrounding the central sensor, and they read "more" or "less" and the
movement was controlled by that.

Thanks.

That is kind of what I figured for the steering of the pickup head.
But how does it convert the position of the pickup head to the X and Y
drive motors. I could make something follow a line easy enough. But
when it comes to going around a corner that would require one(or both)
of the drive motors to change direction, that's when I get lost.

If I had an X Y table (or gantry), that was controlled by a pointer
that you could rotate to change the direction of travel, I could make
a line following eye to move said pointer and trace out a shape on
paper.
--

Dan H.