Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

On Dec 7, 12:35*pm, Doug Winterburn wrote:
Upscale wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
My goodness! *My point was that US gun rights weren't based on a single
use of guns to "kill and maim". *I made no mention of what was best for
anyone including the US.

Bull. A significant portion of this lengthy discussion has included what's
best or better for other countries. And please, I'm kind of slow, so please
spell it out exactly to me what other use than killing and maiming you'd use
a hand gun for? Leaving aside armed forces, peace officers and the
relatively few target shooters, hunters and farmers, there is really only
one use for a gun. And you think your millions and millions should be armed
at will?

You seem to confuse what I have said with what others hae said.

I know, you'd use the butt of your hand gun when there wasn't a hammer close
by. Perhaps you'd need it to be important and feared by all your friends and
neighbours.

"beep, boop, boop"

"911. *What's your emergency?"

"Someone is breaking in my front door!"

"Please tell whoever it is that we are dispatching the police."

"STOP! *THE POLICE ARE ON THE WAY.... * KABOOM"

"This is 911 - what was that noise?... *hello.....hello"

With your short fuse, perhaps it's better you live in Canada where a gun
isn't easily available to you.

That's right, dig out the insinuations while having minimal knowledge about
other people or places. You run with that opinion. I'm sure you'll go far
with it.

Seems your response to Larry was an arrogant statement about what was
best in modern day US.

A few years ago, Ted Nugent was doing his show on his radio station in
Detroit, a station I would listen to quite often.
There had been a rash of car-jackings in the Detroit area. Ted (or a
guest on his show, I don't recall) suggested that if a driver was in a
bad neighbourhood to put his gun on his lap, pointing at the door.
When a car-jacker would approach, just plug the *******, right through
the door.
That in fact happened a couple of times. News travels fast and from
then on, any carjacker deep-down knew he could be approaching a target
that would shoot his balls off.
The car-jackings went way down in a hurry.

I think that allowing citizens to arm themselves makes their homes,
cars etc. targets that could shoot your balls off.
Approaching a house, where the odds are more than 50-50 that the
occupant/owner will shoot you, is a better deterrent than anything
else I can think of.

Here in Canada, odds are that the home-owner is NOT armed.

That is wrong.