Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer[_3_] The Wanderer[_3_] is offline

Default seeking malleable non-ferrous wire

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 02:44:41 -0800 (PST), jkn wrote:

Hi All
Thanks for the suggestions...

Craft shops are clearly worth a look. There is plenty of 'craft wire'
on eBay, but I'm not sure of the strength/malleability. I'll see what
I can learn from poking around a shop.

Flower shop wire tends to be ferrous, I think.

Something with the strength of brass, but 'Aluminium' in colour, would
be good. I want to bend something useful out of it, a bit like the
street-seller stuff but more functional, he said coyly.

Is there an easy source of 'coat-hanger wire' which isn't pre-bent
into the shape of a coat hanger? Strength-wise it would be fine, but I
need to start off with a decent length of straight.

Yes, but that ain't gonna be particularly maleable, which was in your
original spec.

The sculptor's supply link is a great resource anyway - thanks!

I use aluminium wire frequently, as an armature for soft-bodied porcelain
dolls. It's easily set into shape and is strong enough not to fracture with
use.

--
The Wanderer

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt (Mark Twain)