Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Paulsen Mike Paulsen is offline

Default Hanging drywall: up/down or across

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

If I have an 8'x8' wall and I will hang two sheets of drywall on it,
should I hang them vertically or horizontally or does it not matter -

Horizontal would be best. Vertical a close second. One each way a
distant third.

and why.

Horizontal seams are easier to finish and less likely to telegraph.

Drywall adds structural stability to the wall. Horizontally hung sheets
give twice the shear resistance as vertically hung sheets. (Although it
wouldn't be that big a factor on a 8' long wall.)