Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Cleaning morse taper in headstock

On Dec 6, 5:02*pm, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

What I use for crusted oil spooge is mechanical scraping (to get the
bulk off) followed by acetone (which gets the last residue off). *
Acetone will also strip paint, so be careful where it splashes or runs.
Joe Gwinn

On easily examined exterior surfaces I've had good luck with an
aluminum scraper, then scrubbing with kero and fine steel wool until
shiny metal appears. Usually the function of a precision surface isn't
harmed by a few low spots although it's hard to take off even 0.0001"
with fine steel wool. I think the crust on old machines might be
polymerized lard oil.

Jim Wilkins