Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default How are IC's Labeled?

John Fields wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

U is 100% unambiguous too. It means IC.

Like converting pounds to kg makes sense too ?

Why use another letter when you 2 that describe the part properly ?

I first saw U on a schematic around 1980, because that's when I first saw
schematics of a commercial product. Before that, all I had seen were the
diagrams in Popular Electronics magazine, and they always used IC.

So honestly, it conveys a meaningful distinction for me. When I see U that
tells me it is (more likely to be) a professional design.

What a curious idea !

---
Not at all, and he's right, as borne out by the fact that I use the
reference designator 'U' for integrated circuits, while you use 'IC'.

I know a European company that uses I. Even I disapprove of that.

What reference (and symbol) would you use for an MOV btw ? Or a Polyswitch ?

On btw - using the dual letter thing I've even used CE for capacitor electrolytic.

Graham