Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default garage door torsion springs

On Dec 6, 4:02*pm, "Jake" wrote:
so these springs apparently break about every 5 to 7 years and one of my 2 springs
went sproing over the weekend.

from scouring sears, home depot and lowes, they sell everything I need, except the
torsion springs (they sell the vertical type, not the horizontal type that runs on the
bar across the garage)

from reading a few online sites, it appears many people have written excellent
descriptions and have successfully replaced their own springs without dying or getting
maimed or blinded - a few even have excellent step-by-step videos, though some of
these clearly sell parts online.

what say you ? at issue is why should I pay someone close to 300 for a job where the
parts cost 30 to 65 ?

easing the tension on the spring is no laughing matter but it's no more dangerous than
lifting your car on a jack and replacing a tire.

I own a self storage facility with lots and lots of roll up doors with
torsion springs. Although they see limited use, springs do break,
usually from a bit of rust causing a weak spot. The springs are $20
apiece (takes 2) and one technician drives 30 miles to our facility to
replace them, standard commercial service call for $80. The brand is
Trac-Rite, pretty common in the midwest. The door maker does sell
springs, but it doesn't seem worth the hassle to me. To minimize
breakage, spray on a coating of old fashioned cosmoline or similar
protectant. We always replace both springs if one breaks, seems like a
good way to save extra labor when the other gives up. YMMV

Joe