Posted to alt.home.repair
horton horton is offline

Default Garage Door erratic in cold weather

horton had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...er-346342-.htm
:
Thanks, I'll try that tip. By the way, would it damage the opener if I
adjust the force seasonally, just like what you have described? The door
is the standard, sectional metal one and it's about 10 yrs old.

What kind of 'tune up' does it need (the opener)? For the door itself,
I've done the lube and tightenings.

-------------------------------------
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-------------------------------------

Delivered via =A0http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

This question comes up every year around this time, so you are not
alone.

What works for me is a slight increase in the up/down force of the
opener. Since my forces are still comfortably in the middle of the
range, and I can still stop the door myself, I feel safe increasing
the force just enough to compensate for the cold weather. Come spring,
I adjust them back down, just to be extra safe.

Unasked-for Tip:

Hang your opener from some rubber straps or conveyor belt material
instead of connecting it directly to your joists/rafters. The noise
reduction from the elimination of vibration is quite significant,
especially if there is a room above the garage.