Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
So, here again we hit the question, how can these things happen since

you
already have extremely restrictive gun laws? Your solution is, more gun
laws?

Obviously, they've happened because even though the laws are restrictive,
guns were still available. Yet, here are wanting to make more guns available
and more easily? The only possible end result is that things like that would
happen more. There's no way you can argue that point.

While a number of gun crimes result because of firearms stolen from
collectors, a sizable amount of them have happened because of guns smuggled
up from the US.

And to Doug who jokingly suggests that baseball bats, screw drivers,
chisels, tire irons and yes, automobiles need to be banned, all of those
things have other other uses while hand guns have one use. A deadly use that
can be effectively wielded from a distance ~ not even closely comparable to
the examples you used Doug.

And of course for John Clarke, it makes perfect sense to legalize guns for
millions so the four Olympic shooters in the country can practice their
craft. Well thought out reasoning John.

shooting rampages. So how come all of a sudden this is the solution to

what
is a very small problem?

It's an increasing problem, not a small problem.

causing this whole new problem. The reality is that gun access for all
citizens was actually greater in those days you are reminiscing about.

Kids
used to take guns to school for a variety of reasons:

You do have a point there, but for one thing. Population sizes and societal
values have changed to a great degree. People weren't as packed together
like sardines in the cities as they are today and there's been an extremely
large influx of immigrants into Canada. When I went to school, if there was
a fight, it was a fist fight. I wouldn't have dreamed of pulling out the
pocket knife I had in my back pocket and I've never carried a gun of any
type for the purpose of protection. Those values are different these days.

I won't argue for one second that just removing guns is going to solve all
the problems that exist. I never suggested that for one second. However, it
will help while also attending to the root causes of why a number of people
use guns to solve their problems.