Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
RST Engineering \(jw\) RST Engineering \(jw\) is offline

Default How are IC's Labeled?

We've developed one that works well for us. R1 is mounted on the cabinet or
chassis. R101 is on the first subassembly (generally a pcb), R201 on the
second subassembly, and so on. I've been asked what happens when you get
past the 9th subassembly and I reply that we are building small aircraft
electronic devices, not locomotives.

Jim

Formal military systems often used nested designators: A3A6R41
uniquely located a resistor in a radar system. Some of the older HP
schematics used this convention, too.

John