Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default How are IC's Labeled?

Peter Bennett wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Peter Bennett wrote:
"gore" wrote:

I work at an electronics contract manufacturimg facility. We do work for
several companies and I wonder why they use different labels on the
schematics and pcb's to refer to IC's. Some of them have a U1, an A1, and
X1, or an IC1. Why do they do this? Is there a standard used to label IC's
in a schematic? Just curious why this is.

The standard reference designator for integrated circuits is "U" -
anything else is wrong! ( IMHO :-) )

And what does U stand for ? Probably the stupidest choice ever aside from Q.

Perhaps U = Unit?

That's 2 votes for Unit and one for Unique so far in this thread. I have also
heard Unknown mentioned.

Graham