Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cash Cash is offline

Default Who is responsible for tree growing over wall?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
The neighbour B of my friend and neighbour A
has cut down branches of shrubs
planted in A's garden but growing on B's side of the wall,
and has thrown the material (quite a large amount) over the wall.

What is the legal position about trees and shrubs
growing from one property over a neighbour's property?
I assume the neighbour is entitled to cut down the material
on his side of the wall,
but who is responsible for disposing of this material?

Any advice gratefully received.

Neighbour B has the legal right to cut all branches and roots of shrubs,
trees etc upto the boundary of his property - but these must be returned to
neighbour A. If neighbour B disposes of the 'cuttings' without the
permission of A, then that could be construed as theft of property - see:

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/ for more and better detailed information.

Cash