Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default A really bad piece of work.

YAPH coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 13:23:10 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

A strict interpretation would be that the sleeve must be steel or
copper. A looser interpretation would be that the sleeve must be a
material that COULD carry gas but MIGHT not be used for that purpose.

I've been meaning to blag a bit of yellow PE when I next see a roadside
gas replacement going on. No-one could argue that it's unsuitable for
carrying gas, it'd identify the pipe it's sleeving as gas, and it'd not be
likely to itself corrode in the wall as a copper sleeve could do.

Good idea.

Actually, marking gas in the house would be good to (the odd wrap of yellow
PVC tape would be good!).

I found myself looking at several parallel runs of 22mm last week and I was
sure that two in particular were water. It was only when I followed them
down to the bowells of darkness behind the HW cylinder I could see one
joining what I know to be a gas pipe and even then you had to look really
hard to determine which of the two...

Would have been very easy to put my pipe cutter through the wrong one!

Cheers

Tim