Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vented versus vent-free gas logs??

On Dec 6, 7:32�am, Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 20:37:58 -0600, "Just a citizen . . ."

wrote:
We have a standard fireplace with a flue - we've never used in 5 years we've
lived in this house - now my girlfriend wants gas logs after our friends got
them - "they look so cozy" - so now I'm looking at the gas log sets - the
vent free sets provide decent heat AND I don't have to worry about
remembering to open and close the flue - the vented sets probably run more
heat up the flue than they provide in the room AND I have to open and close
the flue.

Pricing looks similar - why not go with the vent-free logs? �Thanks!

Any kind of combustion will produce *some* carbon monoxide and other
by-products. �How much toxic gas is produced in the living space can
be variable and it may (or may not) be safe. �Personally, I would
prefer the vented type.

I looked into this years ago, for a home additrion that got shelved.

I BELEVE vent free ones didnt require a power line to operate, a
definite advantage in a power failure