Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default A really bad piece of work.

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 00:57:30 +0000, BigWallop wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
Take a look at.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/HNTphotos/100_0272.JPG

This was perhaps the most dangerous piece of gas fitting I have
directly seen to date. What was really concerning was that the bayonet
had become unlatched and was just the grip of a sticky O-ring away from
a very large escape of gas.

A Riddor will be submitted. There may be an investigation...

Oh my God !!! As John Rumm has asked. What is holding the other end of
the flexible tubing?

The whole things is reversed i.e. Bayonet is on cooker and plain end on
supply (instead of bayonet elbow).

I suppose this was an unofficial installation?
Surely, it must be. And for the sake of a quarter turn, it could have
been a lovely disaster. Thankfully, in a way, it is on an appliance
that does not move about much.

Not even the 1/4 turn just a few mm of movement held by friction of an O-
ring. I got called in because the cooker had stopped because the self
sealing had blocked the supply into the cooker.

It wouldn't be anywhere near Wigan, would it?

No, London N10.

It is unbelievable that this is still happening. I thought you lot talking
about that Rogue Traders was just a laugh, but there really needs to be
someone who can police these sorts of jobs. Not on a random basis, but have
someone check it out after it's supposed to be complete.

I know you CORGI guys have to self police your works, but can't you get the
job of following up on any kitchen installation / renovations etc? Because
that is a killer waiting to happen.

As soon as I looked at the first photo' I thought, No, that can't be the
back of the stove. Surely not. And now I see the second photograph of the
elbow dangling in mid air, I realise that something really needs to be done
about these real cowboys, before more Wigan explosions occur.

The Sparks shouted about the Part P building control requirement, but I
think that gas installations and alterations should also be policed in the
same way now. And it's cost cutting measures that are causing this to
happen. Isn't it lucky that the self seal plunger wasn't damaged.

Good luck with it, by the way. And good luck with your competition entry,
as well. :-)