Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Vented versus vent-free gas logs??

"Just a citizen . . ." wrote in message
We have a standard fireplace with a flue - we've never used in 5 years
we've lived in this house - now my girlfriend wants gas logs after our
friends got them - "they look so cozy" - so now I'm looking at the gas log
sets - the vent free sets provide decent heat AND I don't have to worry
about remembering to open and close the flue - the vented sets probably
run more heat up the flue than they provide in the room AND I have to open
and close the flue.

Pricing looks similar - why not go with the vent-free logs? Thanks!

The vent free are something like 99.5% efficient. There are some people that
think the gas logs will give off too many fumes and burn up all the oxygen,
but that is not the case in my experience. Burning gas does give some
moisture to the air. In most houses, this is not a problem, especially if
you burn the logs for a couple of hours to look pretty. If you had a really
tight house and burned them on high day and night, it may be too much
moisture. They are no worse than using the gas range or the gas oven that
is in millions of homes.