Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jim Thompson Jim Thompson is offline

Default How are IC's Labeled?

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 19:33:40 -0500, "gore"
wrote:

I work at an electronics contract manufacturimg facility. We do work for
several companies and I wonder why they use different labels on the
schematics and pcb's to refer to IC's. Some of them have a U1, an A1, and
X1, or an IC1. Why do they do this? Is there a standard used to label IC's
in a schematic? Just curious why this is.

Thanks

There probably _is_ a standard, but it was probably devised by some
committee of cretins sitting for the IEEE, so it's generally ignored.

The schematic representation doesn't matter anyway.

What matters is how the "template" for the part is seen by the
simulator, for instance...

Schematic Simulator

U1 X_U1
A1 X_A1

etc... ("parts" are either devices, Q, R, L, C, M, D... or
subcircuits, X...)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food