Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone here experienced in (homebrewed) Cryo-Treatment of O-1 ??

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

One last note.
We used Helium. At 77 Kelvin, nitrogen is to warm G
You knew the Bush administration terminated helium production didn't you?
It's still around but Oh LaLa is it ever expensive.

Really? Years ago I need to write a paper for a COEN class. I picked dirigibles and
blimps as the subject matter. The professor, a escapee from Nazi Germany didn't seem to
think that was a topic that would be interesting.

Germany really wanted to get helium from us but our government was seriously worried that
we might be going to war with Germany and shooting down hydrogen inflated lighter than air
bombers would be a lot easier than shooting down helium inflated bombers.

The US used helium but didn't like venting it since it is expensive. So as fuel was
burned by the propulsion engines, an exhaust water collection system captured the water.
The dirigibles actually gained weight while burning fuel. Managing ballast bet venting
helium to maintain altitude.

The US seems to have the majority of helium Btw.

Okay, bush terminated production. Why? I'm fairly sure some one is producing it for
purely economic reasons. Don't leave me hanging, I'm interested in the why's and
wherefor's.

WEs