Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JoanD'arcRoast JoanD'arcRoast is offline

Default Anyone here experienced in (homebrewed) Cryo-Treatment of O-1 ??

In article ,
Wild_Bill wrote:

I didn't have anything informative to say concerning your questions, but I
kinda suspected a troll too, at least possibly.

I'm glad you spoke up with a metal-related topic, and I hope you and others
will offer more.

I believe there are a somewhat vast number lurkers that visit here, who's
only interests are the metalworking topics, that can ignore the unrelated
stuff by exercising some self-control (or just aren't interested in trying
to become a legend), who just read what they like and then move on.

I think it's funny when someone wants to see if their newsreader is working
or set up properly, so they post a Test - disregard type of message with no
question or comment.
I can't imagine that they don't have one single metal-related question to
ask, that they could ask, but don't.

The little info that I've gained about fashioning woodworking turning tools
is that some wood lathe users make their tools from the shafts recovered
from heavy duty car/truck shock absorbers.

Any clue as to what type of steel and treatment (for instance case
hardening) used in the manufacture of shock absorber shafts?

I dunno if there would be any advantage to using carbide at the tip of wood
turning tools (other than it would be slightly more difficult to acquire in
larger pieces, and to grind to complex shapes), but brazing a carbide insert
to the end of a rod would seem to me to be much simpler than what you were
suggesting, and man.. do I like simple.
When the carbide cutting tip becomes too small to resharpen, heat it up,
knock it off and replace it with another piece.

I have made a carbide hollower for end-grain work. Carbide doesn't seem
to give as slick and smooth a finish cut as a freshly sharpened steel
tool, however.

Thanks,
-j