Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] fictitiousemail@gmail.com is offline

Default Neutral cure silicone sealant wind up?

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 04:10:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 5, 11:01*am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
wrote:
The shower trap I am fitting says to put only neutral cure silicone
sealant between the flange and the shower base since acid ones can
attack the flange. The flange is chrome plated plastic so this sounds
like a wind up to me.

The chrome on chrome-plated plastic is incredibly easy to discolour with
acids. I cleaned the scale from a shower head using "Limelite" descaler
(another weak acid) a few years ago and removed some of the chrome and
changed the colour of the rest in streaks. So I'd avoid all contact with
acids, even descaler.

Neutral cure silicone is available easily. You can get it at Screfix for
£4.10 a cartridge.

If you are happy to use a white sealant, an alternative is Evostick Nail
and Seal MS-polymer sealant which is also neutral cure. That's available
in B&Q. Alternatively just use any MS-polymer sealant.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/vi...url.com/6guvpb

Glasgow Screwfix
Houston Place
Kinning Park
Glasgow
G5 8SG

Opening Hours
Mon – Fri 7am – 8pm
Sat 8am - 6pm
Sun 10am - 4pm

Many thanks for advice from all. Looks like I should take this
reasonably seriously. Will head out to Screwfix - they seem to stock
Dow-Corning.

And Toolstation is in the next street along beside Leyland Paints if
SF don't have it