Posted to uk.d-i-y
oh oh is offline

Default Thanks all, got me new tools :-)

Got a 1/2" spanner set, torque wrench and combo wrench kit from
Toolstation because they could deliver so fast (next day, free!), all
metric of course, for a grand total of £63! Got my eyes on a
well-stocked combo 1/4"-3/8" with loadsa bits for lighter work but for
heavier work particularly on the car I thought the 1/2" would be
compulsory.

Now, I almost threw the new ratchet tool away in anger. I was on the
boat tightening up the alternator belt and put a 13mm socket on the
ratchet. Afterwards couldn't get it off, no matter how hard I pulled! So
I dumped it in a bag and drove home ready to call and complain. Only
after starting to mess about with a flat screwdriver, trying to prise it
off with brute force, did I notice something looking like a small black
button on the ratchet head... "Click"! Didn't have that on my 20-year
old ratchet tool...!

And now off to get a couple of adjustable spanners, gonna insist that
they're metric ;-) ...