Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default GM Failure

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 20:20:00 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:
snip
Based on independent outside evaluation, the 25/34 billion to
"save" the domestic automotive industry is a low-ball down
payment. I don't have the link, but just saw one estimate about
5X this amount [150-175 billion] by an independent
economist/accountant, and even this huge "investment" does *NOT*
guarantee survival, only the continued existence of the domestic
auto industry into the start of the next up cycle.

snip
Found some links, it was Mark Zandi of Moody's [and it was "only"
125 billion not 150-175 billion -- my bad]
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/the-tick...for-automakers
http://www.cnbc.com/id/28055208
http://www.wallstrip.com/2008/12/04/...-think-bigger/

Unka' George [George McDuffee]