Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default California electric rates are getting ridiculous

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:25:38 -0800, "scorpster"
wrote:
but they are
blind to nuclear power. If we had nuclear power we'd only be paying a
fraction of the price and it would be good for the environment!!

It is not cheap if you include the cost of decommissioning.
Consider the cost of taking care of the leftovers for the next few
thousand years. Frankly no one knows what that cost might be since no
one has ever decommissioned a atomic plant. They have shut them down
and keep the maintenance up because:

A: No one wants the wase in their back yard
B: No one knows how to do it.

Maybe you don't care, but frankly I don't want to leave my
grand kids and great great great grand kids with all that waste and
cost.

Atomic energy has never been cheep enough to compete with
other sources. The only way atomic plants have been built was to
provide materials for great projects like bombs. Take a look and see
what the true cost of building and operating a modern atomic plant per
unit of energy (after deducting government investment) and see what
the real cost is, not counting decommissioning.