Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default California electric rates are getting ridiculous

David Nebenzahl wrote:

You must have missed what I wrote. You give the antinuclear movement
far too much credit for the moratorium on building nukes in this
country (U.S.). Look at the economics. Keep in mind that we (the
anti-nukes) were fighting the NRC just as hard as we were fighting
the utilities: the feds hardly changed their policies one inch as a
result of all our agitation, so you can't lay the problem at the
doorstep of "excessive regulation". The NRC has always been somewhat
of a lapdog that obeys its real masters, the electric utilities and
nuclear power plant construction firms (GE, Bechtel, Combustion
Engineering, etc.).

## Agree about the NRC, but it's the COURTS that drive up the cost.

All of which completely ignores the 900-lb. gorilla here, which is the
ongoing problem of radioactive waste disposal which is still not even
close to being solved, let alone even temporarily. This should be
enough to permanently nail that particular coffin closed and bury it.

## There is no "ongoing problem of radioactive waste disposal." Never was.

Like we used to say: who needs fission reactors on earth, when we
have a perfectly good, inexhaustible *fusion* reactor out there in
space?

Because the same people (generally) who oppose nuclear power also oppose
oil, coal, slavery, and all other forms of energy utilization.

Buncha Luddites, you ask me.