Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default The unvented cylinder annual inspection myth?

YAPH wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 16:51:44 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

I was thinking of two - one where the plastic header tank got back
filled with hot and failed, and another where a cylinder ruptured and
dumped hot water on sleeping people below.

I thought they were both storage tank collapse incidents. What caused the
cylinder to rupture, do you know? Sounds almost as if it had gone
unvented.

The recentish one certainly was. I am not sure the older report actually
contained specific info - only "burst hot water cylinder".

Undersized vent scaling up, or inappropriate fitting of a gate valve in
the wrong place would seem like obvious culprits though.

--
Cheers,

John.