Posted to alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default California electric rates are getting ridiculous

On Dec 4, 8:24*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/3/2008 8:25 PM scorpster spake thus:

I just received a notice from California Edison that Tier 3, 4 and 5
rates are increasing AGAIN in the first quarter of 2009. *My
electric bill is typically $400 a month. *I don't think very many
people fall into Tier 1 or 2. *Here's what really ****es me off: the
electric utilities fail to
take advantage of clean nuclear power. *They keep wasting our money
on natural gas, wind power, and all kinds of inefficient "green"
ideas but they are blind to nuclear power. *If we had nuclear power
we'd only be paying a fraction of the price and it would be good for
the environment!!

As a former card-carrying anti-nuclear activist, I'm here to tell you
that "clean, cheap, reliable nuclear power" always is and still is
total bull****. (Don't know if you remember back that far, but they
used to talk about nuclear electricity rates "too cheap to meter".
Hah.)
And people like me can take pretty much *zero* credit for stopping
nuclear power in its tracks, back in the 1980s; it was mostly the
terrible economics of the technology that did it in.

Nuclear power, on its own, is clean, cheap, and reliable. It's certainly
clean - the only thing it emits is heat. Building a nuclear power plant is
relatively cheap - it can cost on the same order as a coal-fired plant.

What makes the cost so bizarre is the anti-nuclear movement! Fifteen years
of litigation, design changes ten times the requirements of engineering best
practices, abundant political machinations, all contribute to the bill. Who
needs the grief?- Hide quoted text -

I agree on most respects but the one cost that has been and continues
to be ignored is how to dispose of the contaminated waste. This cost
is growing and may well be the biggest expense we will yet pay for
nuclear power. Until this issue is resolved, there should be NO
FURTHER development of nuclear power plants. And before you get on
your high horse about me being anti-nuclear, I am not. I simply
believe that we have to solve the disposal problems before we increase
the problems beyond the point of no return.