Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Are name-brand low-energy fluorescent "Green" bulbs any brighter than store brand?

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 13:58:47 -0500, Tony
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:20:22 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

"Doc" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 7:07 am, The Daring Dufas wrote:
One thing I have found when dealing
with a number of CFL lights is the fact that the
lamps have a warm up period.

Okay, I see it gets considerably brighter with time. However, this
seems like something of an annoyance if I want there to be light
*now*. Sort of like revisting TV's that need warming up or something.

So, the problem is easily solved. Buy incandescents. CFL lights use a lot less electricity and last
years longer than incandescents. The trade off is that you have to wait a minute for the full light
to come on.

I have used a lot of CFLs (of different brands) and have not had any
that take more than a second or two to come on, until recently (these
are flood lights).

If it bothers you that much, get rid of them. Problem solved. That is like saying I want
a Toyota Prius but you cant stand that you cant fit giant boxes when you purchase something from
Home Depot. Simple answer, buy a gas guzzling SUV.

Tony

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."