Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil Again Phil Again is offline

Default California electric rates are getting ridiculous

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:25:38 -0800, scorpster wrote:

...{Snip} If we
had nuclear power we'd only be paying a fraction of the price and it
would be good for the environment!!

I seem to recall that back in the Carter or Regan era there was an
attempt to build a fission plant in some mid-western state and the Lawyer
costs on both sides ran way more than the cost of actually building the
electrical plant. CBS's 60 minutes did a massive hatchet job on the
building plans for that power plant.

Teachers in grade school and middle school were teaching the evils of
fission power for generation of electrical power at this time. One
teacher tried to organize a class room writing exercises asking the power
plant not be build. (IIRC, I think this occurred in Madison, Wisconsin
but the plant was in another state, maybe Illinois)

Any discussion on the nuclear fission (boiling water by splitting heavy
atoms) *must* include cost of lawyers, cost anti-nuke media counter-
attacks by "Press-Spokespersons," and cost of lobbyist at the Federal,
State, and local levels. very $$$$$

You think your cost of electricity is high now? Just wait until the
lawyer's invoice from at least 1/3 of the lawyers in the San Francisco
Bay area comes in.

Just my opinion.