Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Extractor fans

Hi Andy

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 4 Dec, 15:27, Adrian wrote:
Seeing that CPC have some reasonably-priced mains extractor fans in
their most recent flier - I started thinking again about fume extraction
from the soldering area in my stained glass studio....

Personally I wouldn't bother. For the sort of fume hazard you're
facing (assuming it's just soldering and not patination fumes!) a
recirculating fan with a filter is fine. However you do need to
replace those filters when needed.

Thanks for the reply...

I did get a couple of pack of filters with the fan - so replacing them
won't be a big problem....

Don't know what sort of flux you use - I've been using Bakers for the
last couple of years, and, while it's more more agressive than the other
water-based fluxes I do find that it can cause me chest problems...
as does the sal ammonica block....

Seemed like a good idea to get those fumes out of the studio....?

As to patination - I'm not aware of fumes from that -
I use the copper & black patination liquids cold and wash them
off the work with warm water... or are we talking about different
processes ?

Adrian