Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Extractor fans

HI Folks

Seeing that CPC have some reasonably-priced mains extractor fans in
their most recent flier - I started thinking again about fume extraction
from the soldering area in my stained glass studio....

At the moment, I've got a couple of mains-operated ec-computer fans
mounted through the timber walls, sucking fumes out from the studio.
Trouble is, they're about 12" away from where the actual soldering is
done, there's not as much 'suck' (!) as I'd like... and they're pretty
noisy when running.

One of those little portable fume extract filters works fairly well -
but I'd rather have some means of extracting from where the actual
soldering is taking place....

So - CPC have an option of HG0023256 (4" in-line duct fan) and HG0023056
(round axial fan) - both for around the 8 euro mark. I like the idea of
the duct fan because I could mount it under a cover on the outside wall
of the studio, and run tumble-drier ducting into the studio - so keeping
the noise outside the room. It'd only be a short run of ducting - maybe
half a metre at most. Might even get two of them and have the ability to
do double-extraction if working on larger pieces of glass (up to 4ft
long for a typical door panel...)

Anybody used either of these types of fan - and can comment on their
suitability ? I could 'bodge' the existing ex-computer fans - but by the
time I've worked out some means of adapting the square fan to the round
ducting, I'm looking at lots of time & probably as much expense....

Thanks in advance
Adrian