Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Cat 5 wiring

HeyBub wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:55:58 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
mark wrote:
Greetings Again All,
Am I the only one who has a hard time crimping connectors onto cat
5 cable? I have a cat 5 crimping tool and follow the instructions,
but my success rate is pretty low. Any hints??? Thanks, Mark
If it's any help, you only need four of the eight connectors for
computer work. Also, once the connector checks out, we fill the
back of the connector with hot glue.

We finally gave up on that **** (unless it's a really long run) and
buy cables from Cyberguys.

http://www.cyberguys.com/

Agreed. Premade cables are so cheap now, that even if you leave 20
feet coiled up in a dead space, that it usually isn't worth the
hassle to roll your own, unless you just want to know you can. Mebbe
if you do it all day every day- but for us once-in-a-blue-moon folks
with aging eyesight- well, I've only got so many years left.

You do know that a 20 ft coil is bad for two reasons? 20 extra feet
and coiling up a cat 5 cable. I want my network running optimally.

Right. It will take the signal 2 x 10^^-8 seconds to travel the unnecessary
distance.

Transit time isn't the issue when you coil up extra cable.