Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Cat 5 wiring

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 23:08:47 -0500, Claude Hopper
wrote:

metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:44:09 -0600, "mark" wrote:

Greetings Again All,
Am I the only one who has a hard time crimping connectors onto cat 5 cable?
I have a cat 5 crimping tool and follow the instructions, but my success
rate is pretty low. Any hints??? Thanks, Mark

The trick is to get the wires as flat as you can. Strip the wires
about an inch to make them easy to work with, flatten them out and
then cut them the proper length.

It takes practice. There is also a tester to see if all the wires are
'made'.
People should be using cat 6 now.

More importantly, make sure any CAT 5 or 6 you use in a home is plenum
rated, even if the building code doesn't require it. Your family's
safety requires it. Don't be tempted by the sometimes significant cost
differential.