Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Cat 5 wiring

mark wrote:
Greetings Again All,
Am I the only one who has a hard time crimping connectors onto cat 5 cable?
I have a cat 5 crimping tool and follow the instructions, but my success
rate is pretty low. Any hints??? Thanks, Mark

Make sure you have the right connectors for the cable. Connectors
designed for solid wire have contacts that go around the the conductor
after piercing through the insulation, and those for stranded wire
pierce the wire down the center.

Also ensure that the wires are properly paired. In simplest terms, one
twisted pair should go to the center pins (4 and 5). Each wire of the
second pair goes outside to the first pair on pins 3 and 6. The third
pair goes to pins 1 and 2, and the fourth pair goes to 7 and 8. A
common mistake is to pair pins 3 and 4, then 5 and 6. This will pass a
simple electrical test, but may cause poor data transmission.