Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Cat 5 wiring

Claude Hopper wrote:
metspitzer wrote:

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:44:09 -0600, "mark" wrote:

Greetings Again All,
Am I the only one who has a hard time crimping connectors onto cat 5
cable? I have a cat 5 crimping tool and follow the instructions, but
my success rate is pretty low. Any hints??? Thanks, Mark

The trick is to get the wires as flat as you can. Strip the wires
about an inch to make them easy to work with, flatten them out and
then cut them the proper length.

It takes practice. There is also a tester to see if all the wires are
'made'.
People should be using cat 6 now.

Cat 6 seems to have no real benefit over Cat 5, now or in the
foreseeable future.