Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default Strange acting Jacobs Chuck

"Chas" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Jerry Wass" wrote in message

I have this nice 25 yr old Jet 1/2" drill press--has a nicely machined
Jacobs style chuck-(16mm)--a couple of years ago, it started slipping
while tightening it up. you get it fairly tight with the key,, and
then you can just keep on turning the key--w/o it getting any
tighter---although you have to turn the chuck key further than "normal"
to loosen the chuck.. Inspecting the innards doesn't reveal any obvious
defects..Do I need to clean one area & lube another???

You have probably sprung the jaws.
They are replaceable.

JC

More likely the ring gear is slipping on the body.

I think you mean the ring-gear sleeve is slipping on the nut.
--
Regards,

Chas.

(To email me, replace "xxx" with letters tango papa golf.)

Exactly. I don't see how it could be in the jaws. However, when I have a
chuck act up in the slightest...it gets replaced. All my production
machines have Jacobs chucks and we used to repair them but it just isn't
worth it anymore.