Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Anyone here experienced in (homebrewed) Cryo-Treatment of O-1 ??

"Buerste" wrote in message

"JoanD'arcRoast" wrote in message
. ..
I shape my wood lathe tools by hand, and then heat treat in a campfire
and quench in used motor oil.

I have access to LN2, but wonder if it would make a noticeable
improvement of the O-1.

I know I will encounter inefficiencies due to Leidenfrost effect, even
if I pre-chill the steel to minus 80 C. (Perhaps I can roto-vac to make
slush, I'll have to explore that.)

Opinions?

Do you think my methods are too primitive and hit-or-miss to achieve
better sharpness and edge retention on the lathe tool?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Would the little extra hardness gained
not be desirable for this application?

Pointers? Links?

Thanks for taking the trouble to read this mess,
-j

I've heard from experts that cyro is smoke and mirrors. The best thing
said is cyro provides superb stress relief. Your application and your
level of correct heat treatment limits what you can do. Send stuff out to
a heat treater. Your expectations are too high for home-brew.

Ah, guys, I think you're being trolled, if you haven't noticed.

JoanD'arcRoast is roasting you. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress