Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Downie Tim Downie is offline

Default The unvented cylinder annual inspection myth?

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Tim Downie" wrote in message

So you still can't understand the relevance of the difference between a
3kw input and a 10kw input then?

I can't imagine any sealed heat store losing heat faster than a 3 kW
heater can put heat in.

Possibly not. My point is though that it's incredibly bad "science" to mess
about with a variable and assume that it won't make any difference. You
can't assume that it will make no difference.

Therefore a 3 kW heater will cause such a system to explode if the safety
measures are disabled.
In fact I have known an /uninsulated/ vented tank boil when an immersion
heater stat went faulty.

True, but that's at atmospheric pressure. BP rises with pressure.

I'm not denying that there is a risk of explosion, but like all risks, it
needs to be put in perspective. How many deaths have there been in the UK
from exploding unvented cylinders? There was a recent death from an
unvented cylinder that I can remember.

Tim