Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Shower works but bath doesn't. Sterling fixture, 1973

mm wrote in
:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 10:05:27 -0500, Chris
wrote:

mm wrote:
On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 23:12:31 -0500, mm
wrote:

It seems very unlikely that the tub spigot is clogged, right?, so
that leaves the diverter valve.

In case I wasn't clear, this is a separate diverter valve, btween
the hot and cold. Not a handle in the spigot that pulls up and
makes the water got to the shower.

Put in new guts for diverter valve. Fairly easy to do. Your local box
store should have the guts for it. My house was built in the 50's and
has three valve system and I can still get parts for things like this.

These days that's amazing. I'll do that if I can. Thanks.

This is why I asked in the first place. Now I'll try to get there
early, instead of 3PM, so that it's still light out when I have to go
to the store. Once it gets dark I feel like going home. Although
she is supposed to give me dinner for something like this, and she
likes to eat dinner at dinner time. I could trade dinner in for
lunch, but I'd rather have dinner.

Another issue, she doesn't have many valves in her house. When I
replaced a washer in the basement sink, I had to turn off all the
water to the house. She does have a wood panel behind the valves of
the bathtub, but I didn't think to check if there are valves there.
She could do that, if she's willing to. Sometimes she's in a bad mood
(for lots of good reasons, unrelated to me, but I still try to avoid
her then.)

My house,, built in 1979, has valves everywhere they should be. Is
that required by code now, or did I just get a better quality house?
We both are in the same county and we both have copper pipes.

So if I take out the guts, I probably have to leave the water off
while I go to the store. HOpefully it will only be the water to the
bathtub, but if she hasn't enough valves, it may be the water to the
whole house. If her house were my house this wouldn't matter,
becasue when I'm at the store, I don't need water.

Chris

You don't have to shut the water off at all since it's 3 valves. The
diverter only directs water. The H&C stems provide flow.