Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Heating new basement, electric or propane?

"Kevin" wrote in message
news
That might be something to consider -- so long as you don't require a
blower -- having the non electric source of heat might some day come in
handy.

I have electric shop heat, and propane furnace house heat. I'm thinking
to add a wood stove to the shop.

Even if it does have a blower, it can be powered by a generator if needed.
Not many have a generator that will power a heat pump. Especially for very
long. I had a house that had natural gas heat and could start up a small
(5000 watt) generator for the blower every so often to get the heat up. Then
use it for other things. It takes a heat pump a long time to heat a house
where the gas heat will come on for a short time to get the heat up and can
then be shut off for a while.

I am now in a house with a heatpump but have a wood stove in the basement
just incase it is needed.