Posted to alt.home.repair
Just a citizen . . . Just a citizen . . . is offline

Default mortgage question

Find out how they classify the origination fee - it's probably a broker's
bonus, but if it's really a discount point, it might be tax deductable -
find out where they put it on the HUD Settlement Statement.

I'd also request a HUD Settlement Statement from them when ya start talking
about their loan. There are some line items that they won't be able to fill
in until closing (prepaids, escrow, etc.) but they should be able to show
you most of the Settlement Statement line items that go into the type of
loan you're considering.

It can eliminate surprises at closing . . .

"Claude Hopper" wrote in message
AE Todd wrote:
Please forgive this slightly off topic post, but since all of you are
homeowners, maybe you have some thoughts on this. I am going to
refinance in the near future, and I have a GFE with an origination fee
of 1%. Can anyone tell me just what an origination fee really is? Is
it like going to a car dealership and seeing "extra dealer markup" on
the sticker? Is the origination fee generally non-negotiable? Thanks
for your thoughts on this.

That's the mortgage brokers bonus.